Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Venezuelan corn 13 feet tall. I'm going to try to make some cachapas soon.

I found out that tropical corn varieties grow very tall and won't set ears until daylight hours are less than 13 hours each day. I think I had my first tassels in mid July, and just now they are getting silks on the plants. It's all very uniform. I have identified the first three ears to pollinate and hope to plant them next year. I'm hoping there is enough genetic variation that I can breed the corn into something more normal over several seasons. Even to pick any ears or check them for development I have to stand on a bucket to reach them. I was going to hybridize them, but couldn't reach the tassels. This corn will make a very delicious pancake that American corn doesn't work for.

No comments:

Post a Comment