Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

September 8th. I planted green onions/scallions today.

They used to call them winter onions (Winterheckenzweibel). It used to be you could plant them in the fall and they would be ready to go in the spring. With some varieties they have bred this ability out of them We'll see what happens with these. On September 15 I'm planning on planting Bloomsdale Winter Spinach. This variety should get a good start and then take off early in the spring. I broadcast ( randomly scattered)  the seeds, raked them in, patted them down with my hands ( for capillary action and better germination). Then covered them with burlap, and watered them with my sprinkler can. You can buy the burlap at home centers and sewing stores. I use it over and over.
The onions are Cipollotto Da Mazzi, I purchased them from Seeds of Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment